Railroad Architecture of Continued Island in Riverhead:
Although Riverhead can be advised the basic end of Continued Island, it was alone the alpha of the originally advised intermodal rail-and-sea link’s bisect of the Arctic Fork adjoin the closing cross-sound buck connection.
Taking its earliest-settlement name of “Head of the River” or “River Head,” the ultimately designated, single-word “Riverhead,” the ninth of Suffolk County’s ten towns, was created out of the west end of Southold on March 13, 1792.
Thus abstracted and autonomous, it was injected with advance with the accession of the railroad and the actual station, congenital on July 29, 1844 and confined the South Ferry, Brooklyn, to Greenport line, was complete on abreast Railroad Avenue. Despite its through-purpose, it channeled its own disembarking driver to date coaches, which brought them to Quogue and added south island destinations.
Eastbound trains served the boondocks on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, while westbound ones, aback to Brooklyn, did so on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Mercantile, milling, and manufacturing, its accustomed bartering undertakings, catered to a 1,600-strong citizenry in 1875, the association boasting two affair mills, offices, 20 stores, three hotels, and six churches.
Replacing the aboriginal alternation depot, which was adapted into a home for railroad workers, a wood-framed one, advised by Charles Hallett and featuring scalloped trim and busy finials, was congenital west of Griffing Avenue amid 1869 and 1870. This was afterwards replaced with a third, this time accumulation brick in its construction, on June 2, 1910.
“In the aboriginal 1900s, the east was a abode of affluent potato farms in summer and abysmal snows in winter,” wrote Ron Ziel and George H. Foster in their book, “Steel Balustrade to the Sunrise: The Continued Island Railroad” (Ameron House, 1965, p. 158).
“From the time of its ability that the aboriginal acumen for its actuality had vanished with the architecture of the New Haven Railroad to Boston (fifty years earlier), the LIRR has played a above role in developing the areas way out east,” they connected (p. 158). “… Business and borough organizations all over the island abutting with arresting citizens, newspapers, and the railroad to advance biking and settlements on Continued Island.”
That development, however, was hardly accelerated and if balustrade were afterwards replaced by roads, the Continued Island Railroad’s re-invented, intermodal busline purpose had vanished, abrogation the aggregate of its cartage to drive to Manhattan during the accumulation morning exodus.
Indeed, by 1963, capital band account east of Riverhead had been bargain to a individual circadian driver and thrice-weekly bales run, application the clue originally laid for the rail-to-sea hotlink in the mid-19th century.
Today’s high-level accurate platform, which does not buck a individual shoeprint on assertive canicule and in assertive seasons, was complete amid 1996 and 1997, but for abuse enthusiasts, some of its history has been preserved at the Railroad Architecture of Continued Island beyond from it.
“The history of Continued Island can be traced in animate rails, which cantankerous its assorted landscape-from aphotic tunnels beneath New York City-limits to the farms and beach dunes of the East End,” according to its website. “The Railroad Architecture of Continued Island strives to allegorize this history through analytic displays from its annal of photographs and artifacts, and through the canning and apology of best railroad accessories at its two locations in Riverhead and Greenport, New York.”
The former, consisting of a 70-foot bindle of acreage now endemic by the Metropolitan Busline Authority, but busy to the museum, already sported a pump house, a baptize tower, and a turntable that was no best dimensionally accordant with the larger, added able locomotives actualization during World War II. Cornerstone of the circuitous today is a architecture acclamation from 1885 and acclimated by the Corwin and Vail Lumber Yard, yet now confined as the museum’s aggregation centermost with a Lionel archetypal railroad blueprint antic Continued Island Railroad coaches in assorted liveries, a agenda and balsa copse replica of the Riverhead depot, which commemorates its 100th anniversary, and a allowance shop.
Across from it is the Lionel Visitors Center, featuring a multiple-track blueprint with a Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey bazaar display, a baptize belfry that identifies the city-limits as “Lionelville,” and 72 push-button activated accessories from axis wind turbines to afire ascendancy towers.
Outside are two added archetypal railroads: the G-scale Freeman Railroad and the complex-circumnavigating and rideable, 1964-1965 World’s Fair train.
Built by the Alan Herschel Company, the 16-gauge alternation itself was an basic allotment of the fair’s Continued Island Railroad Pavilion, afterwards which it was acclimated by Grumman Aerospace at its Calverton aggregation picnic, afore getting acclimated by the apple of Patchogue and assuredly getting donated to the museum.
Since restored, its engine and three cars, cutting World’s Fair accouter and advertising, “Ride the Log Island. Biking easy, your animate alley to Fair Gateway,” run on 670 anxiety of track, usually abandonment every bisected hour and authoritative three circuits. Rides are included with admission.
The bridge berth next to it, which was originally amid in Innwood, Queens, and adequate guards from the weather, facilitated the chiral blurred and adopting of gates if trains anesthetized to arrest banal and vehicular movement. Riverhead afflicted to an automated arrangement in the aboriginal -1950s.
The Railroad Architecture of Continued Island’s beef and agent locomotives and driver and bales cars are assorted and historically significant. Although a few are displayed alfresco the allowance shop, a lot of are amid beyond Griffing Avenue, alongside to currently alive LIRR advance and beyond from the present Riverhead Station.
The players in the 1955 End of Beef Commemoration are on affectation here, although in capricious stages of restoration.
Time, distance, and technology afar the beef locomotives from their driver coaches added than bisected a aeon ago, but the architecture reunited some of them and they now angle alone a few yards from anniversary other, admitting in static, but abating states.
As one of the Pennsylvania Railroad’s Class G-5 “ten wheelers,” engine #39, for example, was complete in its Juniata shops in 1923, yet its able-bodied capabilities, bidding by its characteristics, alluringly provisioned it for daily, ambitious driver band service: a 237,000-pound gross weight, a 2,178-hp butt capability, a 205-psi boiler pressure, a 41,328-pound tractive effort, and speeds amid 70 and 85 mph.
Primarily confined the Oyster Bay branch, it was the endure beef engine to biking to Greenport, in June of 1955.
Releasing its railway car to the accoutrements of an RS-3 agent locomotive, amount 1556, during the End of Beef handoff in Hicksville, it alone an era. That engine, a 1,600-hp Class AGP-16msc, provisioned with assorted assemblage acceleration ascendancy and congenital by the American Adaptable Company, afterwards served the Continued Island Railroad arrangement for 22 years, whereafter it was purchased by the Gettysburg and Maryland Midland Railroad, and was assuredly acquired by the museum.
Interesting, but not necessarily accompanying to Continued Island history, is the afresh acquired Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal Railroad (BEDT) locomotive, featuring a 0-6-0 caster configuration. Complete by H. K. Porter in 1923 for the Astoria Ability and Light Company, it anesthetized to several hands, including those of the Fleischman’s Yeast Aggregation in Peekskill, New York; the Abuse and Adaptable Aggregation in Alabama; and finally, as of 1938, the Brooklyn East Terminal District Railway itself, which numbered it 16 and provided car float (barge) account from Brooklyn’s beach to several Class 1 railways in Manhattan, the Bronx, and New Jersey.
As the endure beef engine to accomplish both east of the Mississippi River and in New York City, it was not retired until October of 1963, or eight years afterwards the Continued Island Railroad discontinued its own use of this technology.
Passenger cars are aswell able-bodied represented by the museum.
Double-decker drillmaster #200, for example, antic its Tuscan red acrylic scheme, was the aboriginal such aluminum, dual-level car. A collective activity amid the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Aluminum Aggregation of America (ALCOA), the 120-passenger alpha prototype, congenital in 1932, was an attack to admission accommodation afterwards creating badly continued trains, and, because of its non-standard status, appeared afterwards ascendancy stands or absorption motors. Appointed Class T-62s in assembly form, they accommodated 132.
A later, added all-over driver car was the P72, of which there are two on display, antic the Continued Island Railroad’s beforehand Nordic dejected and platinum brume acrylic scheme. Numbered 2923 and 2924, they were allotment of a 1954 adjustment for 25 locomotive-pulled, 120-passenger driver cars bogus by Pullman Standard at its Osgood Bradley annex in Worcester, Massachusetts, initially actualization with array lighting and beef heating, but afterwards retrofitted with under-car agent architect sets that supplied ability for these utilities. Accouterment agriculturalist account for 44 years, they were not retired until 1999.
The acceptation of the museum’s brace is that they both partook of the October 8, 1955 End of Beef commemoration in Hicksville: car 2924 was pulled by engine 39 and accommodated a Boy Scout troop from Brooklyn, while car 2923 was analogously pulled by engine 35, but originated in the East End.
Uncoupled, the above was reattached to agent engine 1556, abandonment for Jamaica, while the closing abutting armament with 1555, abrogation for Riverhead. Virtually arm-in-arm, the brace of now car-devoid locomotives rode into the beef era’s sunset, blockage into their Morris Park retirement home.
Another cogent brace of cars is the museum’s two M1s displayed on the aforementioned track.
With 85-foot lengths, 10.6-foot widths, and 122-passenger capacities, these light-weight, multiple-unit driver cars, complete of stainless animate with rounded, fiberglass end caps, featured four 160-hp Accepted Electric 1255 A2 absorption motors and automatic, quarter-point sliding blade doors. They had a four-foot, 8.5-inch clue barometer and offered a maximum, 240-foot ambit ambit for accompanying units, and served as the alpha to the electrified era for the Continued Island Railroad, as bidding by the accessible relations advertisement entitled, “A New Bearing in Abuse Travel: Meet the Metropolitan,” which promised that “a new era in driver busline is launched on the Continued Island Railroad.”
“The sleek, stainless animate Metropolitan represents a new bearing in burghal abuse service,” it stated. “It ushers in a absolutely new attending on the Continued Island Abuse Road, the nation’s better driver abuse system.”
Explaining the action abaft the design, it said, “The (Metropolitan Busline Authority) bent that ‘more of the same’ to affair accessories (needs and) expectations of the Continued Island Abuse Alley (was not an option).
“An outstanding accumulation of experts was approached by MTA to plan out the abundant car specifications, which resulted in the bearing of the Metropolitan.
“This collective operation was guided by MTA and its own abstruse staff, alive in abutting cooperation with the accomplished operational cadre at the Continued Island Abuse Road. This accomplishment produced, in almanac time, the blueprint for a badly changed, anew engineered abuse driver car that would angle at the alpha of the nation’s driver lines… “
A close adjustment for 620 M1 Metropolitans and 150 options, afresh the better individual Arctic American one for electric assorted assemblage cars, was placed with Budd, and deliveries took abode amid 1968 and 1973.
Necessitating a ability admission from 650 to 750 volts DC, fatigued by a acquaintance shoe-third abuse connection, the blazon entered account in an eight-car agreement on December 30, 1968 from Brooklyn to Penn Station, abashing the curve amid the driver railroad appropriate engine-and-coach accompaniment and the free alms concept.
“The Metropolitan trains are abiding in two-car units, absolutely able for absolute operations… ,” the accessible relations advertisement explained. “One car in anniversary assemblage contains batteries and a motor alternator. The added houses the air compressor. The Metropolitan is the aboriginal such assorted assemblage driver alternation in operation.”
The advertisement aswell emphasized its advancement.
“America’s fastest, a lot of avant-garde driver abuse car is arranged with addition and avant-garde features, advised to accommodate top levels of account and abundance to the LIRR rider.”
Progressively replaced in the early-21st aeon by the afterwards M7 cars ordered from Bombardier of Canada, the aboriginal of which was delivered in 2002, it partook of its own “Farewell to the M1s” ceremony, hosted by the Sunrise Trail Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society, four years later, on November 4.
No bales alternation or railroad architecture would be complete afterwards a caboose. The bay window one on affectation at the Railroad Architecture of Continued Island, numbered C-68, served as the conductor’s office, the assurance anchor point at the end of the car chain, and the aggregation active breadth if runs precluded acknowledgment to home stations for the night.
Railroad Architecture of Continued Island in Greenport:
Twenty-three alley afar to the east is Greenport, the Railroad Architecture of Continued Island’s added breadth and the end of the line. But if the Continued Island Railroad was conceived, it was just the alpha of it-in agreement of purpose and point of intermodal connection, breadth the bake was anesthetized from alternation to steamer for the cross-sound journey. Technology eventually baffled the southern Connecticut abuse avenue to Boston and destroyed the apprentice concern’s raison d’être.
Nevertheless, although the museum’s added ability is poor in rolling stock, it is affluent in history.
Settled by New Haven colonists in 1648, it capitalized on its East End, water-accessible location, evolving into a shipment and address architecture center, with baby argosy alteration aftermath to Connecticut and beyond ones confined New York and New England. Whaling began in 1790.
Because its anchorage was envisioned as a abuttals and alteration point, it appropriately admiring track.
“Greenport was the abode that acquired the Continued Island Railroad to be built,” according to historian Frederick A. Kramer. “With a baroque anchorage aperture assimilate Gardiner’s Bay, packet ships for the acreage affiliation to Boston were to put in alongside whalers and bounded fishing boats.”
Although Greenport opened its rail-port doors on July 29, 1844, the aboriginal official trip-and aboriginal articulation of the advertised “through avenue to Boston”-did not action until the afterward month, on August 10, with the alternation abandonment Brooklyn at 08:00 and accession at 12:00, at which point cartage transferred to the railroad-owned steamship, “Cleopatra, (part of its $400,000 investment in boats and berth facilities) for the two-hour bridge to Stonington, Connecticut, and afresh achievement of the journey, afresh by rail, to Boston on the Norwich and Worcester.
Although blaze captivated the aboriginal board annex and belvedere that had opened on July 27, 1844, a division of a aeon afterwards a second, advised by Charles Hallett, rose on the arctic ancillary of the bifold advance in October of 1870, transforming Greenport into a railroad centermost with a bales house, a turntable, a shipment dock, and a accumulator yard, which served as the abandonment point for Pullman cars destined for cities as far west as Pittsburgh.
Although the Arctic Fork in accepted and the breadth surrounding it in accurate still able potatoes and cauliflower, this once-remote farmland was bargain to hours in ambit and re-dimensioned in purpose, alluring people, who developed business and industry.
Unsuccessfully aggressive with the New Haven and Hartford Railroad and afresh aggravating to await on inter-island cartage afterwards its aboriginal plan had been scuttled, it was still able to carriage its crops to markets in the west and the railroad-owned agile of steamers provided admission to Block Island, Montauk on the South Fork, and New London in Connecticut.
In adjustment to facilitate what remained of Continued Island abuse travel, yet accommodate aegis adjoin the bank area’s appropriate acrid air, a third, Victorian-style annex was congenital in 1892, accumulation red brick architecture and adorning features, such as a hip roof, abatement patterns, wrought adamant crests, and finials. Forth with the accordingly opened bales house, which itself featured a barter bay, sliding doors, a surrounding board deck, and a four-step access from Fourth Street, it abutting the added accessories in what had developed into an all-encompassing abuse backyard and included a four-stall engine house, a baptize tank, a coaling area, and aliment structures.
East End alternation service, as expected, dwindled, with a circadian round-trip amid Amagansett and Greenport fabricated by a small, 4-4-0 beef adaptable affairs a amalgamate (passenger and baggage) car and a abounding coach. It larboard at 10:00 and fabricated average stops in Eastport and Manorville. Because it followed a semi-circular clue routing, the loss-recording run, accustomed mail, express, and a scattering of souls, was alternatively alleged the “Scoot” and the “Cape Boondocks Train.”
After a layover in Greenport, it retraced its steps, re-departing at 14:00.
But the appearance of the auto and the damper of the Depression hastened its cessation in February of 1931.
“(Today) the two base buildings, accumulated with the celebrated turntable and the breadth shed, comprise the better and a lot of complete representation of railroad-related barrio and structures to survive in a individual and specific celebrated breadth of Continued Island,” according to the Railroad Architecture of Continued Island’s website.
One of them, the aboriginal bales house, houses the architecture itself.
Of acceptation are two HO-gauge archetypal railroad layouts, depicting Greenport during the 1950s and today. The commonality amid the two is the basic role its docks, harbor, and bank breadth accept consistently played in its history.
Another important aspect was the parlor car account the Continued Island Railroad operated amid the 1940s and 1980s, accouterment an abundant and accepted approach of biking for New Yorkers vacationing on the East End or just authoritative weekend getaways, and displays affection its adequate seating, cutlery, and china. That to Montauk, on the South Fork, was dubbed the “Cannonball” and to Greenport itself the “Shelter Island Express.”
An earlier-era railroad atmosphere is created by artifacts and accouterments already advised “modern,” such as a chiral typewriter, a hand-cranked telephone, a corrupt wagon, a baptize cooler, flagmen’s and conductor’s arresting lamps, and annex admission windows.
Remnants of the Bliss Tower, which were aforetime amid in the Blissville breadth of Queens, allegorize how accessories such as these were placed at the credibility of clue interlocking, enabling operators to accomplish beheld acquaintance with abutting trains and appropriately activate, via chiral means, crossover switches, which in aspect served as the locomotives” council mechanisms.
Controlling cartage from Continued Island City-limits forth the Montauk branch, for instance, these architecture constituted basic circle infrastructures for a aeon until automation alone their need.
A few cars are on affectation alfresco on clue accessed by the bales depot’s surrounding board deck.
The above Continued Island Railroad W-83 block snowplow, for example, was absorbed advanced of one or added locomotives and pushed at speeds as top as 35 mph, allowance the clue of snow. Because of its teeth-like acrylic scheme, the museum’s example, which is the alone such LIRR assemblage remaining, was nicknamed “jaws.”
The amount 14 berth abaft it, congenital by the American Car and Foundry Aggregation in 1927, was allotment of the railroad’s endure adjustment for board ones and served the absolute avenue system, including branches that no best exist.
After its retirement in the 1960s, it anesthetized to several accessory hands, including those of the Branford Electric Railway, the Valley Railroad in Essex, Connecticut, and assuredly the museum, abiding to home Continued Island clay on May 17, 1997.
Beyond the museum’s rolling banal displays and beyond from the triple, still-active Continued Island Railroad clue is Greenport’s 80-foot-long turntable, endure acclimated by beef adaptable #39 on June 5, 1955 and one of alone three remaining. It is the alone pneumatically-operated one.
Envisioned as one day getting repurposed for beef powered circuit trains amid the museum’s Riverhead and Greenport locations, it would accredit cartage to awning the Arctic Fork by abuse and ply the aboriginal clue about two centuries afterwards it had been laid.
To the larboard of the turntable is the high-level accurate belvedere complete amid 1997 and 1998 and, at most, fields two weekday LIRR operations. To the larboard of it is the aboriginal 1897 base building, which bankrupt 70 years later, but now houses the East End Seaport Museum.
Finally, the accepted harbor-stretching berth replaced the one that already accurate the advance arch to the Stonington-bound steamboats, the Continued Island Railroad’s aboriginal purpose.